Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Dog-eared 18

I’ve decided to copy my wife's “dog-eared” feature. These posts will contain quotations from books, music, movies, and whatever else I feel like sharing.

Wittgenstein’s Mistress

Was it really some other person I was so anxious to discover, when I did all of that looking, or was it only my own solitude that I could not abide?


In either event people continually looking in and out of windows is doubtless not such a ridiculous subject for a book, after all.


Even though Emily Brontë once struck her dog so angrily that she knocked it out, simply because it had gotten onto her bed when she had told it not to get onto her bed, which is the one thing Emily Brontë did that one wishes she hadn’t.


Even if, as I have perhaps said, there are also things Emily Brontë did not do that one wishes she had.


Although which may well be none of one’s business either, it finally occurs to me.


And meantime I would appear to have completely forgotten my russet cat’s name.


David Markson, Wittgenstein’s Mistress, page 134.


Practically every single day at Corinth, for instance, when I did remember to let the cat back in, I said good morning to it.


Good morning, Rembrandt, being exactly how I said it practically every single time.


Russet as a color that one automatically associates with Rembrandt having been the origin of this, naturally.


Even if russet is perhaps not a color.


In any case it is surely not a color that has anything to do with painting, although admittedly it may be a color that has something to do with bedspreads. Or with upholstery.


Although not being a painting a cat can be russet too.


And being russet is apt to be named Rembrandt.


Which in fact no less an authority than Willem de Kooning found to be a perfectly suitable name, on an afternoon when the identical cat happened to climb into his lap.


Perhaps I have not mentioned that my russet cat climbed into Willem de Kooning’s lap.


My russet cat once climbed into Willem de Kooning’s lap.


Page 135.

2 comments:

  1. Hear hear! WM is a lifetime favorite so a big WOO HOO! for this post! Made my day!

    I was actually planning to index the sucker, but someone THANKFULLY beat me to it:

    http://bigother.com/2010/06/07/wittgenstein’s-mistress-an-index/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve. Thanks for the comment! Glad it brought you some pleasure. And thanks for the link, that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete