Monday, December 28, 2009

Dog-eared

I’ve decided to copy my wife’s “dog-eared” feature (though I don't actually "dog-ear" my books—I'm kind of anal about keeping my books in nice shape). These posts will contain brief quotations from books, music, movies, and whatever else I feel like sharing.

Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?

From Raymond Carver’s Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?

“But in college Ralph’s goals were hazy. He thought he wanted to be a doctor and he thought he wanted to be a lawyer, and he took pre-medical courses and courses in the history of jurisprudence and business law before he decided he had neither the emotional detachment necessary for medicine nor the ability for sustained reading required in law, especially as such reading might concern property and inheritance.”

Yes. I find his view of the requirements for being, and tolerating being, a doctor and a lawyer to be very accurate. He should be thankful he figured it out early.

“They had held hands the night before their wedding and pledged to preserve forever the excitement and mystery of marriage.”

When there’s a sentence like that in a Raymond Carver story, it’s a sure sign that something bad is going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment