Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Fearrington

I noticed an ad in an issue of The New Yorker that reads:

"Retire to Fearrington - A charming country village near Chapel Hill, NC with bluebirds, belted cows and fascinating people of all ages."

And I thought, how strange that this little village in North Carolina is advertising in The New Yorker to try to attract some new residents. I thought I'd offer a kind suggestion to the good people of this quaint village: if you want to attract more residents, perhaps you should remove the word fear from your town name.

But it turns out, as far as I can tell, that Fearrington is nothing more than a new development created by an ambitious developer. The ad is much less surprising to me now.

1 comment:

  1. It is surprising that the developer would call it "Fearrington" ... but not nearly as surprising as the belted cows.

    ReplyDelete